The market is located in the parking lot of Border Star Montessori School at
6321 Wornall Rd, Kansas City, MO 64113
Parking can sometimes be a challenge in the Brookside neighborhood. However, we offer plenty of parking for our patrons! Enter at 63rd Street, then follow the signs to the parking lot just south of the school building, near Meyer Blvd.
The 2018 market will be open every Saturday, 8 am to 1 pm, April – October.
Yes! You’ll find parking directions on our website on such days. Parking is a little challenging, but don’t give up. The market schedules special events as well and it’s always worth the effort to find a spot to park. Besides, the weather is usually beautiful so take the opportunity to stretch your legs.
Our vendors are farmers, bakers, and producers who are deeply committed to organic, sustainable practices. Every vendor comes from within 100 miles of Kansas City. Most farmers welcome visitors to their farms so you can see for yourself where and how the food you eat is grown. For more information, check out the vendor profiles linked to our Farmers and Producers page.
Brookside is the market to shop for local, organic food. The Brookside Farmers’ Market ensures the quality of our products by requiring:
- All produce farmers are Certified Organic by the U.S. Department of Agriculture(USDA) or if farmers have not yet completed the certification process or are exempt because of their small size, they are inspected by representatives of the market to ensure that they are following organic practices.USDA Organic Certification is the only nationally regulated process to ensure that food or other agricultural products that have been produced using approved methods.Organic farming systems rely on ecologically based practices such as cultural and biological pest management, exclusion of all synthetic chemicals, antibiotics, and hormones in crop and livestock production. Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) may not be used.
- All meat, egg and cheese vendors are certified organic or will be inspected by the market to ensure:
- -No farmer uses genetically modified organisms (GMO) in their animal feed;
- -No farmer treats their market animals with antibiotics; and
- -All animals are pastured.
- No resale is allowed. Brookside Farmers’ Market is a producer-only market. At Brookside, you buy from the producer. You talk to the producer. You can ask questions and get answers from the producer. All products at the Brookside Farmers’ Market are grown or produced by the person you buy from, so talk to the farmer/producer about practices and values.
- Your food is produced no more than 100 miles away from the market. That’s local!
The Brookside Farmers’ Market is Kansas City’s pace-setting market in ensuring that the food you eat is truly produced using environmentally sustainable and organic methods.
The Brookside Farmers’ Market was started in 2003! We are Kansas City’s original local and organic farmers’ market.
The Brookside Farmers’ Market is a vendor-run market. That means all the farmers and producers take responsibility for running the market. The Board of Directors makes decisions about the market, the Vendor Committee recruits and evaluates new vendors and inspects vendors for compliance with market standards, and the Marketing Committee promotes the market and plans special events.
These vendor-led committees supervise a part-time Market Manager who is responsible for running the market tent, lining up musicians and chef demos, and making sure everything runs smoothly on market day. The new market manager is Ashley Hertz. She can be reached here.
2018 Board Members:
Dan Heryer, Board Chair
No. Market operating expenses are funded by the booth fees paid by vendors. Sponsorships and donations to cover special needs or educational or recreational events are welcome. If you are interested in sponsoring a market event, please contact the Market Manager through our Contact Us page for more information.
Volunteers are an important part of the market. We are looking for volunteers to:
- Assist with promotion of the market, its events and educational programs
- Help with educational programs and special market events, including preparation, promotion, set-up and execution
Staff the market information tent, answer questions, provide customer service and promote the market’s programs and events
- Take photographs/video at the market and its events to be used in marketing/media campaigns for the market, including ads, newsletters, displays and website
If you’re interested in becoming a volunteer, click here!
Yes! We welcome dogs (and other pets) on leashes.
Please submit a message through our Contact Us page requesting that we add you to the music calendar and we will respond to your request promptly.
Yes. Visit the market tent where you can swipe your debit or credit card to get “Market Dollars” that can be spent with any Brookside Farmers’ Market vendor. Many vendors are also capable of accepting cards at their booths.
Yes! Through the Double Up Food Bucks program your SNAP dollars go twice as far! Swipe your card at the market tent and you receive double the value of SNAP dollars up to $25/week. Shop Brookside and get the freshest, most healthy, local, organic food to share with your friends and family.
Yes! Every week we invite community organizations and local businesses to utilize the space in both our Community and Kids’ Tents. We prefer organizations that can provide education or an activity. Applications for the Community Tent can be found here. Please allow a minimum of two weeks notice for approval before the Saturday you would like to attend.
To make the market fun for all! We host festivals, chef demonstrations, children’s activities and educational activities to make shopping at the Brookside Farmers’ Market an engaging outing for people of all ages.
Submit an application. Vendor applications can be found on our Information for Vendors page along with rules and fees. Come to market and talk with a farmer that is on the Vendor Committee for more information.